Crispy Skin Ocean Perch
with tomatillo salsa verde.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 lbs ocean perch fillets with skin
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lbs Tomatillos, cut in half
- 1-2 Jalapeno peppers cut lengthwise in half (Remove seeds for a milder salsa)
- 1 Small yellow onion, quartered
- 2 Garlic cloves, with the husk on
- 1 Large handful of cilantro, leaves, and stems
- 1 Lime, juice, and zest
- Salt to taste
Preparing the salsa verde
- Preheat the oven to broil and place the oven rack on the second row from the top.
- Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well to remove any sticky residue.
- Place tomatillos and jalapenos (cut side down) on a rimmed baking sheet along with onion and garlic. Broil for 10 minutes, turning the veggies once while roasting. The vegetables will soften and char in spots.
- Let the vegetables cool slightly. Remove husk from garlic cloves before placing all the vegetables in a blender, or food processor, along with the juices from the baking pan, cilantro, pinch of salt, lime juice, and zest.
- Pulse until the mixture is mostly smooth and no big chunks of tomatillo remain, scraping down the sides as necessary. Salt to taste and add more lime juice if desired.
- The salsa will be thin but will thicken in the refrigerator due to the natural pectin in the tomatillos. Store in an airtight container.
Baking & serving the ocean perch
- Pat the fish dry and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Heat a frying pan with olive oil over medium-high heat. When piping hot gently place fillets skin side down in the oil. Let the fish fry without turning it until the fish is no longer opaque and cooked through. This should take about 4 minutes, but keep your eyes on it!
- Place fish skin side up on a plate to prevent the skin from becoming soggy. You definitely want it to keep it crispy!
- Dress generously with tomatillo salsa verde.